Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tuesday Top Ten (and then some)

(our little advent wreath that will make sense momentarily)

Greetings, friends.  Enjoying a quiet moment this afternoon.  I think I've pretty much decided my kids will have rest time until they're like 16.  It's just better for us all that way.  I cherish that small window of time to catch my breath and if I'm lucky, I'll actually get to sit down for a minute and do things like this.  (wish it could happen every day) 

The Christmas decorations are up- mostly.  The tree has not been adorned with her splendor, but that will come tonight.  And the lights are not up outside.  Oh well.  As you have learned from a previous post, I do love this time of year.  I am planning on making the most of it this year, and part of that involves us participating in advent this year.  I made a nifty little wreath with the candles and stuff, and then I did some research on the meanings of the candles.  I only had a vague recollection of us doing it growing up and it was one of the reasons I wanted to do it.  We were not that religious but we lit those candles every year and had a brief time together and talked about the meanings.  I remember it captivating me as a child and teenager and helped to put my focus on Jesus in the middle of an otherwise me- focused time.   I read about the history of advent, and the Latin meaning of the actual word means "the coming".  So the advent season was all about preparing for the coming of Jesus being born and celebrating it.  (There is a top ten coming out of this, so just hang on).  For those that are unfamiliar with this practice, each candle represents something different every week for the four Sundays leading up to Christmas.  Then you light on on Christmas Eve or day representing Jesus.  

Anyway, the first candle we lit this week stands for hope.  Hope is the first candle because everyone before Jesus was born was hoping and looking for this Messiah that would come and save them.   They were waiting with only the faith in what had been promised to them- a Savior.  Someone to rescue them.  Our hope is quite different.   Hope has already come to the world, and our eyes are on Him.  Our hope lies in the promises He has given to us that love Him.  Our hope is that when things look bad, we know that there is a new day coming.  Because of something that has already taken place on our behalf.  How amazing is that!  Just think for a second.  When darkness was covering the earth and Jesus had not yet came, it must have been so hard to just blindly put your trust and faith in something that was to be.  They didn't even know what or who to look for, just that He would come.  But they didn't even fully understand the fullness of the work Jesus would complete here on earth and through His death.  Guess what.  We do know!  And since we have an understanding of the great price Jesus paid, our hope is in Him.  Our only hope is in Him, because outside of that there is nothing.  And that's where a lot of the world is living.  Oh, I pray that raises compassion in our hearts for those that don't know Him.  What a dark and scary day to be living in if you have no hope.  No security.  No promises to stand on.  No assurance things will get better.  

So, today's top ten list consists of scriptures about our hope.  This of course is just a small sampling of promises and verses that contain the subject of hope, but I don't have all day, people!   I wish the themes coincided with our homework, because we will hit this later on (and joy is the third candle!), but the Word is the Word.  Who couldn't use a dose of hope scriptures today?  When we have hope and are reminded of our hope, we are filled with joy!  

Ten Scriptures on Hope:
  1. Romans 15:13:  I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him.  Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.
  2. Psalm 94:19: When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.
  3. Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope."
  4. Psalm 27:13:  I would have lost heart if I had not believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
  5. Matthew 12:21: And his name will be the hope of all the world.  (love that one)
  6. Psalm 62:5:  Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in Him.
  7. Ephesians 1:18: I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you will understand the confident hope He has given to those He called- His holy people who are His rich and glorious inheritance. (I pray this scripture over you a lot:)  )
  8. Psalm 119:114: You are my refuge and my shield; your word is my source of hope.
  9. Romans 15:4:   Such things were written in the scriptures long ago to teach us.  And the scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God's promises to be fulfilled.
  10. Lamentations 3:21-25:  Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.  I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him."  The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him. 
Honorable Mention:  Psalm 42:5-6

Holy cow, that's a mouthful.  Well, sorry this was so lengthy.  Congratulations for making it to the end.  And since this entry has began my small window has closed and now I have to go because I can't concentrate with all three of our singing snowman playing simultaneously behind me :)   And how awesome was Ruth's post?  Keep em' coming, girl.  Oh, and any of the other 6 authors that felt like putting something on here anytime that would be great.  Keep on keepin' it real, peeps.  Love to ya.

Kacee







1 comment:

  1. GREAT post! LOOOOVVE Psalms 119:114, its always stuck out to me. So glad you guys started this!

    ReplyDelete